A major refurbishment of 19th century railway workshops
The first phase of a major development which incorporated the refurbishment of the former 1840’s British Rail Engineering Ltd workshops known as The Pattern Shop, The Hooter House, The Foundry Workshop and so on, into shopping malls, restaurants, wine bars, museums and other leisure facilities.
Due to the buildings being Grade ll listed the external envelopes could not be changed so the criteria of the conceptual design centred on the majority of internal features of the past Brunel design heritage.
In 1989 Yates Associates were hired by Tarmac Construction, Wolverhampton to undertake the full detailed design of MEP services including specialist lighting but unfortunately the project was stopped at the end of the conceptual stage due to the forthcoming recession.
In the Autumn of 2013, we re-visited the site to find the reality of our conceptual design. A very impressive outlet centre run by McArthur Glen including an array of designer outlet retail units set amongst the relics of the buildings' past usage and included overhead cranes and old machines. Even a finished product was included ... a steam locomotive neatly sited in the Food Hall.
Close by is the steam museum and an outdoor farmers' market, with new housing being constructed around the whole site.